Friday, July 4, 2014

iOS journaling app Day One goes free as Apple’s new Free App of the Week


If you’re looking for a fantastic journaling app, or a great app for logging and recording various events and milestones of your life, then by far and away the best pick is Day One.
Day One has outstanding apps for the MaciPhone, and iPad that all sync. It has a clever and rich feature set that lets you integrate photos, current location, weather data, and more into your journal entries. And it’s built by a small team of people that are continually updating the suite of apps with well-implemented details


Day One Review
Day One is one of the more expensive journal options ($10 for the Mac version and $5 for the universal iOS version now Temporarily Free), but it’s well worth the price. The app has been around since the beginning of the Mac App Store and has seen significant development since then.
Journals need not be only text. Photos. Locations. Weather. Tags and sorting. We have these computers in our pockets at all times. Our journal apps needn’t be constrained only to when we have time to sit and muse.
Day One combines the simple daily log, event log, activity log, or whatever else log, along with a photo album, and long-form expressive writing. It serves many purposes.
Years ago, when my Great Uncle Howard passed away, a shoebox full of journals was found in his closet. They were those thick, index-card-sized, 5-year diaries that allot just 2 or 3 lines of space per day. He had 8 of them, and every page and every day was filled with what the weather had been that day.
A shoebox containing 40 years worth of Uncle Howard’s daily local weather report. How odd and seemingly simple. Yet, now, how incredibly priceless.
Though I’m not as regimented or peculiar as my Great Uncle Howard was, I have been keeping a personal journal for over 20 years.
Most of my journals are logged with pen and paper. I very much enjoy the time when I leave my standard-issue Apple nerd gadgets in the other room and sit down with the analog to write about what’s currently on my mind.
In a way, perhaps I am more regimented than my Great Uncle Howard was. Through Twitter, Instagram, Path, Stamped, email, and other such apps, my days are meticulously logged with over-filtered pictures of the sandwich I ordered for lunch and tweets about the friends I’m out to coffee with. But how many of my tweets or Instagram photos will be worth revisiting 40 years from now? Some of them, maybe, but surely not all of them.
And this is where I see the difference between the deeply personal issues that I write about in my Moleskine and the memories that I log on my iPhone and iPad. The former have great value to me now as it’s a way to help me process the current season in life, and the latter have great value to me in the future as they are a way to look back on memories and significant events.
Day One is the journaling app I use, and the more I use it the more I enjoy using it.
Unknown Web Developer

Vikas Srivastava is our editor-in-chief and reviewer who takes care of iFreaksBlog.blogspot.com. He juggles writing about apps and custom features in iOS. At other times, he is usually found scouring the tech forums for technical elixir.

No comments:

Post a Comment